What? Experience dolphins swimming in their natural habitat up close on a traditional dhow, swim with the fishes through the marine protected corals and paddle through the mangrove of Mida Creek.
When? Dolphins are in the area between October and March. However you can experience turtles and whales during other times of the year and epic sunsets every single day!
Why? To experience one of the most beautiful species in the world while sailing on a traditional wooden dhow with local captains. Snorkelling and paddle boarding is a great plus too!
How? Depending on the type of trip you want, embark the dhow early in the morning to experience the dolphins / whales etc. Or later in the afternoon for a sunset cruise. We’ll take care of the rest.
You will meet a crew member by the KWS offices where you’ll purchase your marine park ticket. You’ll then walk over to the dhow, dependent on tides a small boat will pick you up to take you to the dhow. Take a moment to be mesmerised with the elegant dhow then make yourself comfortable for a fantastic day trip. First up is a dolphin safari, as you sail the blue waters of Watamu. (Hopefully) spot the dolpins and spend some time with them, watching them gracefully swim through the waters in pods.
Once you’ve enjoyed the dolphins you can ask the crew to take you for some snorkelling time. You’ll head over to the marine park and dock the dhow, here you’ll be given some snacks while you’re free to jump into the clear waters and be surrounded by an array of fish. Take some time to bask under the sun on the comfortable cushions at the front of the dhow.
If the tide is right, we’ll visit a sand bank – a section of sand in the middle of the ocean!
Feeling peckish? Let the crew know. You’ll then head towards the quiet waters of Mida Creek, taking in a whole new landscape of greenery, calm waters and birds. You can choose whether to have the freshly cooked lunch on the dhow or at a nearby island. The food is cooked fresh by the Chef and is honestly some of the most delicious food you’ll ever have tasted!
Yes, the dhow is booked exclusively, therefore only your group and the crew will be on the dhow!
Yes it is. KWS rules state that to be out at sea in Watamu you need a Marine ticket. A crew from the dhow will meet you at the KWS office where you can purchase this ticket (100kshs for Kenyan Residents and 1,500kshs for Internationals).
No worries, if you’d like to get into the water we’re well equipped with life jackets, buoys and fantastic swimmers in the crew, to help you!
Honestly a trip out of this world, never have I been so close to so many dolphins and in a sustainable way. Food was also lovely and the best was it was cooked right in front of us.
Seeing the dolphins was an absolute site. Definitely recommend this trip as it was so much fun!! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was incredible and the paddling boring through mida creek was super peaceful while being served a hot lunch on the dhow. Something completely different to usual and hours just pass by without realising, cause always an activity going on.
Travel4Purpose helped us book a weekend away with such ease, budget friendly and so much fun. Highly recommend her for she goes the extra mile to make sure your needs are met!
Choosing T4P for the dolphin watching was the best decision I made during my trip to Watamu! Why? See below:
1. They personalized it for me and my wife, made it special – a souvenir gift.
2. Dolphin watching – choosing the dhow cruise for this was special, minimum disruption to the dolphins which makes the dolphins come very close to the dhow. We saw about 10 to 15 dolphins as close as 4 metres! Boom!
3. Breakfast on the dhow after dolphin watching – brilliant! Yes, we had a chef on board!
4. Snorkeling – watching the beautiful coral reefs and different types of fish – eyeopener for me, the crew on board were generous and helped me since I did not know how to swim, while my wife was the mermaid, she did not want to stop snorkeling but the crew were so patient, they let her spend as much as time she wanted. What an experience!
5. Lunch served on board while paddle boarding at Mida creek – amazing experience!
6. Last but not the least, T4P make a positive impact to the local community which I was very touched by.